Life on the ruins
In 1581, only two shepherds and 368 sheep lived among the ruins.
The inhabitants of the settlement fled from the turmoil of the Turks, looking for a place to live elsewhere. The subsequent censuses indicate this process well: in 1557 and 1558 only four houses were in Egres, in 1561 they were destroyed. In 1581, only two shepherds and 368 sheep lived among the ruins. In the 17th century, there could have been a higher population of Egres. This is evidenced by the fact that in the 1636 plague epidemic, the Serbs living here left their homes. Later Romanians and Bulagarians moved to the settlements abandoned by the Serbians. At this time Egres was the property of the Bishopric of Csanád. The next ownership change took place in the 18th century. At that time, Joseph, from the younger branch of Count Szapáry, managed to buy Egrest.
In 1906, the Eastern Ortodox Church bought the village from the Szapáry family.
In 1906, the Eastern Ortodox Church bought the village from the Szapáry family, because most of the population were Eastern Ortodox belivers. In 1910 the settlement had 3482 inhabitants, of which 49 Hungarian, 251 German, 3154 Romanian, 285 Roman Catholic, 281 Greek Catholic, 2895 Eastern Orthodox. The former Cistercian founding and the famous monastery of Árpád only his memory was left.
The former Cistercian founding and the famous monastery of Árpád only his memory was left.